Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Two-fer

Yep, that's right folks... I'm back. After that last post, I was still emoting, so I played a couple more Johnny Cash tunes on youtube which led me to Hank Williams Jr. to John Anderson, David Lee Murphy, Brooks and Dunn, Alabama, Alan Jackson......well, you get the theme don't you?

Treasuring my anonymity, I hesitate to share pertinent facts about #1, but I will share this much with you... I'm from the South. And my roots run deep too. Couldn't tell you how many generations back, but well before the Civil War. I'm an old fashioned Iron Eagle American. Love my country, and proud of my heritage

As I sat here, playing the different videos, I started to feel better. I guess I get a certain strength from my roots and its comforting to remember from time to time who I am and where I came from.

Along with that Southern heritage, which I treasure and would never trade, I was brought up with the belief that I was a son of God and that as his son, I could always call upon him when in need. Can't tell you how many times I got down on my knees begging for strength and comfort and how many times he answered me with his love. I was taught, from childhood, to believe in Jesus, and that belief became an anchor through everything that happened. I used to picture myself on a rock, out in the sea with a furious storm blowing. Wind, rain, waves pounding everywhere and on that rock was a curved bar, kind of like a handle. And as long as I held onto that bar, I stayed anchored to that rock, and the wind and the rain and the storm couldn't get me.

There were times that I felt so dark and so lost that I thought I would be swallowed up, and I didn't know what to do or where to go, so I would get down on my knees and plead and that anchor never failed. Sure, I got beat up a little bit, but that anchor of faith held firm and I'm still here. I will always be grateful to God for it.

If there was anything that I am glad my parents taught me, it was the knowledge of who I was and who God was. I don't quite have everything figured out. Some things in my life are still a mess, and I'm definitely an emotional cripple. But I'm still here. Sometimes it's all we can do to just ride out the storm....

No comments:

Post a Comment